July 29, 2012

Daphne Transformed - Sculpture by Renée Sintenis


Daphne Transformed

I was born in sweat and traces of blood,
then grew young and tall and smooth, 
lips like apricots.   His desire was relentless
as he stalked me through mortals’ fields,
and I was trapped in velvet skin, sweating shame
beneath his fetid hunter's breath.
Today I’m unassailable in my leaves and ivy chokers,
replaying days of freedom,
storied nights of goddesses and men….
It’s been so many years since he transformed me,
and no one dares to touch my cracking bark.
Books will tell you I was beautiful, then saved,
but I know the curse of beauty, how I’ve changed, 
that tears are merely amber and what myth is.

Alexa Intrator
June 2012


Sculpture by Renée Sintenis, 1930, 
courtesy of The Sackler Gallery
Cambridge, Massachusetts