July 14, 2013

Rockport bis

OK, two years later I’m back in Rockport, and this time my son, who’s done his google-work, comes up with a half-day excursion to a place called Halibut Point, which has nothing to do with the fish and everything to do with the words ‘haul about’ in your boat, warning of what you’d better do fast to get around the ‘point’.



The park was gorgeous and flooded with songbirds, and we came to an old New England granite mine which was abandoned in 1929, and has since become a natural lake. The veins of granite are visibly layered. There’s a resident cormorant with other bird buddies and the most perfect serenity – inspiring both of us to meditate then and there, on birds, bushes and granite. Animal, vegetable, mineral.
Beauty, nature, love, the full monty.
And of course the only non-rainy moment for several days.

The park had the requisite crumbling trees and rampant vegetation as well as the myriad birds, who seemed to be the very soul of the place.

Down by the point were long, narrow slabs of granite, immortalized by Emerson*

"'Tis a noble, friendly power and seems to me 'Why so slow and late come to me? Am I not here always thy proper summer home? Is not thy voice my needful music, my breath thy healthful climate in the heats; my touch thy cure?...........Lie down on my warm ledges, and learn that a very little hut is all you need.  I have made thy architecture superfluous and it is paltry beside mine.  Here are twenty Romes and Ninevehs and Karnacs in ruins together, obelisk and pyramid and giant's causeway---here they are all prostrate or half piled.'"

All this, Bearskin Neck, Emerson Inn, lunching with dear ones and the Jupiter Quartet playing at sundown in the Shalin Liu Performance Center ---  le paradis, quoi.



see also one of my early blogs http://lexieintrator.blogspot.fr/2011/08/blogport-little-piece-of-heaven_11.html