July 14, 2013

STUDS


So I wondered: am I too old to do studs? I mean the metal kind.

Needed some shoes to walk me around London and not look like a LOLIT (Little Old Lady In Tennis Shoes). The original LOL phrase dates from the early mesozoic era and meant ‘frumpy and without style’ before sneakers became a definitive fashion statement.

Found a perfect pair, and wow were they comfortable! And sort of chic.
I began to notice that London was full of studs, both human and vestimentary. Studs are in, sprinkled on shirts, dresses, wallets, bags and epaulettes and flaunt it:  I am urban, shiny and tough and I don’t take (sh)it from nobody.

Well of course my new shoes ended up taking (sh)it, and it’s not an urban legend. But they also took me up and down Southbank, through museums and London markets and off to the countryside.


Walkin’ tall in my studs.