May 30, 2011

The Child's Ear: OPINIONS

Opinions: grownups always seemed to have lots of opinions. My mother had cigarettes and opinions. My father had cigars and opinions, and they often had cocktails and opinions as well. It all went together: they were entitled to drinks and opinions, as they were much older, had travelled all over, were so clever (and could hold their liquor).

Then one day I woke up and found I had some too: My Own Opinions. Later I began to blog.

Seriously, I’ve had opinions for a long time, but formulating them was hard, i.e. putting opinions into cogent words (because opinions are nothing if not words), as opposed to feelings (which are nothing if not not words, thus even more complicated than opinions).

Blogs are the bolder older sisters of private opinions.

Blogging gives me a bit of time to think before I open my virtual mouth to express my virtual opinion.

(Meanwhile what am I talking about?)